Schluter®-BARA-ESOT is a stainless steel right-angle support profile for attaching base tiles to non-load-bearing substrates. These substrates include metal flashing or bituminous waterproofing layers that are used at floor/wall transitions on balconies and terraces. A foam insulation strip, cut to the same height as the base tile, is placed between the vertical leg of the profile and the wall to prevent a force-conductive bond.
The trapezoid-perforated anchoring leg of BARA-ESOT is anchored between the setting bed and the tile. The special perforations of the vertical leg position BARA-ESOT approximately 1/32" (1 mm) from the insulating strip and promote a mechanical bond between the thin-set mortar and vertical leg.
Base tiles installed on BARA-ESOT will resist normal impact caused by brooms or mops.
1. Apply a foam insulation strip to the wall at the height of the tile base.
2. Using a notched trowel, apply thin-set mortar over the floor area where the profile is to be placed.
3. Embed the horizontal anchoring leg of BARA-ESOT into the mortar while pressing the vertical leg of the profile against the insulation strip.
4. Trowel additional thin-set mortar over the anchoring leg and embed the floor tiles into the mortar, ensuring full coverage and support of the tile.
5. Apply thin-set mortar to the back of the base tiles and attach them to the vertical leg of the profile. The mortar must penetrate the profile perforations to ensure firm adhesion of the base tiles. Prior application of the foam strip prevents a force-conductive bond to the wall. A joint of approximately 3/16" (5 mm) should be left between the floor tile and the base tile. The joint must then be filled completely with grout or setting material.
6. Seal the wall connection above the base tile with an appropriate sealing compound.
7. Please note: The height of the base tile must either meet or exceed the height of the support profile’s vertical leg. However, the foam insulation strip must be applied at full base tile height.