Schluter®-SCHIENE-STEP is a finishing and edging profile for ceramic tile and natural stone installations on countertops, stairs, and tile over tile applications on walls. The profile features a trapezoid-perforated anchoring leg, which is secured in the mortar bond coat beneath the tile. The top of the profile features a vertical wall section that finishes and protects the tile from damage, while the vertical leg covers the edge of the subassembly, top of the riser, or existing wall tile edge.
SCHIENE-STEP is available in anodized aluminum and brushed stainless steel versions, which have different shapes and intended uses. The stainless steel version is available in three vertical leg lengths: 1-1/2" (39 mm) for countertops, 1-3/16" (30 mm) for stairs, and 7/16" (11 mm) for tile over tile applications. Matching inside and outside corners and connectors are available, depending on the vertical leg length. The anodized aluminum version is intended for residential stair applications (stairs not exposed to heavy traffic). It is available in two vertical leg lengths, 1-3/16" (30 mm) and 1-1/2" (39 mm),to cover the edge of the sub-assembly. The integrated joint spacer establishes a defined joint cavity between the tile and the profile. Accessories are not available for the anodized aluminum version.
The Schluter®-SCHIENE profile requires no special maintenance or care and is resistant to mold and fungi. Clean profiles periodically using neutral cleaning agents .Stainless steel surfaces exposed to the environment or aggressive substances should be cleaned periodically using a neutral cleaner. Regular cleaning maintains the neat appearance of stainless steel and reduces the risk of corrosion. Avoid the use of strong acids (e.g. hydrochloric or hydrofluoric) and base/alkaline cleaners (e.g. bleach, ammonia, chlorides). Do not use abrasive cleaning agents and tools. Stainless steel surfaces develop a sheen when treated with a chrome-polishing agent. In the case of anodized aluminum, do not use abrasive or strong alkaline cleaning agents.
1. Select profile according to tile thickness and sub-assembly thickness.
2. Using a notched trowel, apply thinset mortar over the area where the trapezoid-perforated anchoring leg will be placed.
3. Press the perforated anchoring leg of the profile into the thin-set mortar and align.
4. Trowel additional thin-set mortar over the perforated anchoring leg to ensure full coverage and support of the tile edges.
5. Solidly embed the tiles so that the tiled surface is flush with the top of the profile; the profile should not be higher than the tiled surface, but rather up to approximately 1/32" (1 mm) lower.
6. Set the tile to the integrated joint spacer, which ensures a uniform joint of 1/16" – 1/8" (1.5 – 3 mm). For SCHIENE-STEP in stainless steel, leave a space of approximately 1/16" - 1/8" (1.5 - 3 mm).
7. Fill the joint completely with grout or setting material.
8. Work with materials and tools that will not scratch or damage sensitive surfaces. Setting materials must be removed immediately, especially from aluminum.
Note: For installation of SCHIENE-STEP corners and connectors install using KERDI-FIX, silicone,or similar adhesive. Prior to application, any contact-inhibiting substances (e.g., grease,etc.) must be removed. The accessories should overlap the profiles by at least 3/8” (10 mm). The accessories must be slid on the profiles during profiles installation (cannot be placed over the profiles after installation).
How do I cut profiles?
Schluter™ profiles are available in a variety of different materials , so methods for cutting vary. Below are best practices for cutting according...Read more
How to install tile edge trim on stairs: Schluter®-SCHIENE-STEP profile
Introduction to Schluter® Profiles
How to choose the appropriate profile size in relation to your tile
Best practices for cutting Schluter®-Systems Profiles
Maintenance for Schluter® Shower Drains & Schluter® Profiles
Find some existing tutorials and project documentation videos to learn how-to get the best out of our products - for more fun in your life, start now!Watch more videos / playlists
For Stairs / Cover the Sub-AssemblySchluter®-RONDEC-STEP
For Floors / Same-height TransitionsSchluter®-SCHIENE
For Stairs / Cover the Sub-AssemblySchluter®-TREP-FL