Schluter®-KERDI-LINE-VARIO is a low-profile, variable length linear shower drain specifically designed for bonded waterproofing assemblies. KERDI-LINE-VARIO can be initially cut to size on-site to fit the specific dimensions of the shower. The floor can be sloped on a single plane to KERDI-LINE-VARIO, which enables the use of large format tiles and creates interesting design opportunities. KERDI-LINE-VARIO is best suited for placement against the wall but can also be installed in the center of the shower. For drain placement at the entrance of the shower, please refer to the KERDI-LINE linear drain.
KERDI-LINE-VARIO consists of a polypropylene flange, a formed stainless steel channel, a stainless steel grate, and stainless steel end caps for applications involving trimmed lengths.
The KERDI-LINE-VARIO flange comprises an injection molded polypropylene drain body featuring a standard 2" (50 mm) NPT outlet, which attaches to a standard, threaded, mechanical coupling to allow for an adhesive chemical bond to the drainpipe. KERDI-LINE-VARIO is supplied with PVC and ABS couplings. The simple connection makes KERDI-LINE-VARIO suitable for new construction and renovations. The perimeter of the polypropylene flange consists of a bonding flange laminated with a collar made of KERDI. This ensures a simple and secure connection to the bonded waterproofing assembly, both in the floor area and on adjacent walls. The KERDI-LINE-VARIO flange kit contains corresponding polystyrene foam supports to set the drain elevation to the corresponding KERDI-SHOWER-LT/-LTS shower trays.
The KERDI-LINE-VARIO channel features a formed stainless steel design 1-11/16" wide by 3/8" high (43 mm wide by 10 mm high) with a drainage opening cut in the center. The channel comes in lengths of 48" and 96" (122 cm and 244 cm) and is designed to be trimmed to length to ensure a proper fit in custom applications. The flange outlet may be positioned anywhere within the overall trimmed length of the channel to avoid obstacles encountered during construction (e.g., floor joists).
Note: The KERDI-LINE-VARIO channel minimum recommended tile thickness is 3/8" (10 mm). The shortest allowable length to cut the channel and grate is 10" (25.4 cm).
The KERDI-LINE-VARIO grate is a formed stainless steel design that nests into the corresponding channel. The overall length of the grate must be trimmed to the same length as the channel. If the grate is trimmed, the supplied end caps should be used to provide a clean finished look. The KERDI-LINE-VARIO grate assembly features a minimal reveal after installation is available in four designs: SQUARE, FLORAL, HERRINGBONE and SLANT, in a brushed stainless steel finish (EB).
KERDI-LINE-VARIO requires no special maintenance and is resistant to mold and fungi. The grate may be removed to clean the drain housing and the drain pipes.
Clean the grates using pH neutral cleaners. Avoid the use of strong acids (e.g., hydrochloric, hydrofluoric) and bases/ alkaline cleaners (e.g., bleach, ammonia, chlorides). Do not use abrasive cleaning agents and tools. Even stainless steel requires periodic cleaning, which will maintain a neat appearance and reduce the risk of corrosion. Stainless steel surfaces develop a sheen when treated with a chrome-polishing agent.
Installation with prefabricated shower tray
1. Dry fit the KERDI-SHOWER-LT/-LTS tray. If necessary, cut the tray to size prior to application.
2. Use the template provided as a guide to cut out a section of the tray for the foam support.
3. Wipe down the substrate with a damp sponge. Apply Schluter SET®, ALL-SET®, FAST-SET®, or unmodified thin-set mortar to the substrate using a 1/4" x 3/8" (6 mm x 10 mm) or 3/8" x 3/8" (10 mm x 10 mm) square or U-notched trowel. Place the KERDI-SHOWER-LT/-LTS tray and solidly embed in the mortar. The shower base can also be extended beyond the tray using dry-pack mortar, which is in turn covered with the KERDI membrane.
4. Select the ABS or PVC coupling adapter to match the waste line material and attach to the flange using thread sealing tape or compound.
5. Attach the foam supports to the flange using Schluter®-KERDI-FIX, Schluter SET®, ALL-SET®, FAST-SET®, or unmodified thin-set mortar.
Note: The foam supports only fit one way to align with the off-center flange outlet.
Plumbing Access: When there is no access to the plumbing from below, the flange must be set and connected to the waste line simultaneously according to Step 6. When there is access to the plumbing from below and the waste pipe can be connected after installing KERDI-LINE-VARIO, you may skip Step 6.
Note: If the KERDI-LINE-VARIO flange is installed in advance of the shower tray, the construction cover is used to protect the flange and KERDI collar from any damage that may happen on the work site. The cover can be cut to fit in instances where the flange sits tight to the wall.
The construction cover is secured into place until the next steps of installation resume.
6. Begin by dry-fitting the components; make any necessary modifications to the existing plumbing. Apply the thin-set mortar or KERDI-FIX underneath the foam support. Prepare the adjoining pipe and KERDI-LINE-VARIO per the manufacturer's instructions and connect when installing the flange in Step 7.
7. Install the flange with foam supports and coupling of choice and solidly embed in the thin-set mortar or KERDI-FIX.
Note: If the drain location is desired to be close to the wall, orient the flange so the offset is opposite the wall. Refer to the provided template for wall placement.
8. Ensure that the flange and foam support are firmly embedded. Check to ensure the KERDI-LINE-VARIO flange is level. The flange should now be flush with the top of the shower tray.
9. The KERDI collar on KERDI-LINE-VARIO is integrated with the adjoining waterproofing assembly using Schluter SET®, ALL-SET®, FAST-SET®, or unmodified thin-set mortar. The KERDI collar must be cut and folded where the KERDI-LINE-VARIO is installed at a wall corner and may require trimming to avoid excess build up over the tray recess lip.
10. Seal inside corners by installing KERDI-BAND with Schluter SET®, ALL-SET®, FAST-SET®, or unmodified thin-set mortar, centered over the joint. Install KERDI-KERECK at all inside and outside corners.
Note: A flood test is strongly recommended before setting tile to verify a successful installation. Wait a minimum of 24 hours after the membrane installation is complete to allow for final set of thin-set mortar and ensure waterproof performance at seams and corners. Refer to local plumbing codes for any specific requirements in your area.
Note: A specialized inflatable bladder style drain plug works best with KERDI-LINE-VARIO.
Channel and Grate Assembly
11. Determine the tile layout and install the first course of tile on the back and side walls.
12. Measure and cut the channel and grate to the desired length so that the drain opening is positioned over the flange opening, making sure to leave a 1/16"-1/8" (1.5-3 mm) joint between the channel and the tile. For example, if the channel is to be 36" (91 cm) long and the flange opening is centered, cut 6" (152 mm) from both ends of 48" (122 cm) channel and grate.
Note: The shortest allowable length to cut the channel and grate is 10" (25.4 cm).
Caution: The cut ends may be jagged or sharp; use a metal file to remove any burrs or sharp edges. Utilize applicable safety equipment and use care when making cuts. See the Cutting KERDI-LINE-VARIO section for additional guidance.
13. Press the stainless steel end cap(s) to the cut end(s) of the grate.
Note: End caps are compression fit and do not require any adhesive to install.
14. Center and attach the black downspout to the bottom of the channel using the provided two-sided tape.
15. Dry fit and mark where the channel will be placed. Then, install a row of tile adjacent to the channel position on the shower floor using thin-set mortar.
16. Using a notched trowel, liberally apply thin-set mortar to the substrate and to the back side of the channel. Schluter SET®, ALL-SET®, FAST-SET, or unmodified thin-set mortar will be used to adjust to the required height of the channel to accommodate the thickness of the tile.
17. Embed the channel into the thin-set mortar until it is flush with or slightly lower than the adjacent tile. Check to ensure the channel is level and the 1/16"-1/8" (1.5 mm-3 mm) gap is accomodated for along the perimeter.
18. Install remaining tile. Grout and clean up. Insert the grate into the channel.
Observe all safety instructions and standards as directed by the cutting tool manufacturer including protective eyewear, hearing protection, and gloves. Always measure carefully and dry fit the channel and grate after cutting to ensure proper fit and alignment prior to installation.
KERDI-LINE-VARIO may be cut using the following options:
Can I use another manufacturer’s drain with your Schluter®-Shower System?
The Schluter®-KERDI-DRAIN, Schluter®-KERDI-LINE, Schluter®-KERDI-LINE-VARIO drains are specifically designed to integrate with the Schluter®-Shower System...Read more
Why should I use the Schluter®-Shower System?
The Schluter®-Shower System is an integrated family of products that together form a fully bonded, watertight assembly for tiled showers...Read more
What design and finish combinations are offered for the KERDI-LINE-VARIO grates?
There are presently four different designs: SLANT, SQUARE, FLORAL and HERRINGBONE. All offered only in stainless steel.
What is provided in each KERDI-LINE-VARIO kit?
KERDI-LINE-VARIO Grate/Channel Kit includes a grate, a channel, two end caps...Read more
What size diameter is the cut-out on the sub-floor for the KERDI-LINE-VARIO drain outlet?
The subfloor template for KERDI-LINE-VARIO is 3 ½” (88.9 mm) but the max is 4” (101.6 mm)...Read more
Can KERDI-LINE-VARIO be used as a secondary drain?
No, this product should not be used as a secondary drain.
What is shortest allowable length for KERDI-LINE-VARIO?
The shortest allowable length to cut the channel and grate is is 10" (25.4 cm).
Can KERDI-LINE-VARIO be integrated or used with the KERDI-LINE products?
No, KERDI-LINE-VARIO is its own individual product line and cannot be utilized with any existing products.
Are there any limitations to the GPM of the showerhead/water supply system output for the KERDI-LINE-VARIO drain?
KERDI-LINE-VARIO drains are designed to meet the International Plumbing Code (IPC) guideline for a single standard showerhead for a maximum flow of 2.5 gpm.Read more
How do I select the right KERDI-LINE-VARIO length of channel and grate if my drainage outlet is not centered?
KERDI-LINE-VARIO: needs to be placed such that the opening in the center of the channel is directly above the flange connected to the drainage outlet.Read more
Tips on cutting the KERDI-LINE-VARIO channel and the grate?
For the channel, always measure from the center of the drain out to ensure a proper fit/alignment with the drain body. For the grate...Read more
Do I really need to tile the walls first before I install my KERDI-LINE-VARIO drain?
It’s recommended that you tile the walls first as this will make lining up the KERDI-LINE-VARIO drain easier...Read more
Is KERDI-LINE-VARIO acceptable for curbless shower applications?
Yes, however we do not recommend an entrance drain placement.
What is the minimum height that the KERDI-LINE-VARIO can be installed from the tray up?
The minimum height for installing the KERDI-LINE-VARIO is 3/8” (9.5 mm).
What is the purpose of the KERDI-LINE-VARIO cleaning brush?
The KERDI-LINE-VARIO cleaning brush is a useful tool not only if the homeowner wants to clean the “nooks and crannies” of the drain channel...Read more
Schluter®-KERDI-LINE-VARIO: The Variable length linear drain!
How to install the Schluter®-KERDI-LINE-VARIO Linear Drain
Find some existing tutorials and project documentation videos to learn how-to get the best out of our products - for more fun in your life, start now!Watch more videos / playlists
Drains / Shower DrainsSchluter®-KERDI-LINE
Accessories / ProfilesSchluter®-SHOWERPROFILE-S
Accessories / ProfilesSchluter®-SHOWERPROFILE-R
Accessories / ProfilesSchluter®-SHOWERPROFILE-WS/-WSK
Accessories / ShelvesSchluter®-SHELF-E
Accessories / ShelvesSchluter®-SHELF-W
Accessories / ShelvesSchluter®-SHELF-N
Drains / Shower DrainsSchluter®-KERDI-DRAIN
Drains / Floor DrainsSchluter®-KERDI-DRAIN-F